US Capitol violence: Photo view of the invasion

Four people were confirmed dead and dozens have been arrested after Donald Trump’s supporters stormed the US Capitol and clashed with police in a bid to stop Joe Biden’s victory being certified.

According to reports from The Mail, Ashli Babbit was the first person confirmed dead after she was shot in the chest when she and dozens of other protesters breached security perimeters at the Capitol on Wednesday afternoon.

Babbit was shot in the chest on Wednesday afternoon after chaotic scenes broke out when dozens of Trump supporters breached security perimeters at the Capitol. She died several hours later

Babbit’s husband revealed her identity to San Diego news outlet KUSI. He said Babbit was a 14-year veteran who served four tours with Air Force as a ‘high level security official’, a fervent supporter of Trump and ‘a great patriot to all who knew her’.

An explosion caused by a police munition is seen while Trump supporters gather in front of the Capitol on Wednesday

It remains unclear who shot Babbit as the Metropolitan Police Department in DC conducts an investigation into her death. Witness accounts and videos from the incident suggested that she may have been shot by police while trying to climb through a broken window near congressional chambers.

The DC National Guard was deployed to the streets to help enforce a 6pm curfew

DC Police said that three other people died on Capitol grounds on Wednesday, according to Politico. Those three deaths were related to unspecified ‘individual medical emergencies’.

A protester struggles with a riot police officer outside the Capitol building after the 6pm curfew went into effect

Several blocks away from the Capitol, a man was stabbed outside the Trump International Hotel, NBC reported.

The National Guard descended on the streets in large numbers to help enforce a 6pm citywide curfew while hundreds of protesters remained on the Capitol grounds. As of 11pm 30 people had been arrested for breaking curfew. Fifteen others were arrested earlier for protest-related activities over Tuesday and Wednesday, police said.

Just before 8pm lawmakers who had been whisked to safety when the siege kicked off began arriving back at the Capitol to resume the Joint Session to certify the Electoral College count of the presidential election

Two pipe bombs found near the Capitol grounds at the headquarters for the Republican and Democratic National Committees were removed, along with a truck filled with long guns and Molotov cocktails.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a state of emergency in the city for the next 15 days until the inauguration.

Capitol police officers point their guns at a door that was vandalized in the House Chamber during a joint session of Congress

Earlier in the day, President-elect Joe Biden called for the ‘mob to pull back’ and said the uprising bordered on sedition.

Paramedics and protesters work together to transport a wounded man on a barrier near the Capitol

Trump – after remaining silent for much of the afternoon – posted a video telling his ‘very special’ supporters inside the Capitol that he loves them and understands their pain but urged them ‘to go home’.

A protester walks through Congress carrying Nancy Pelosi’s lectern after storming the Capitol

He had initially encouraged his supporters to march to the Capitol after a rally earlier in the afternoon before asking them only to remain peaceful when violence broke out.

A Trump supporter posed alongside a statue of President Gerald Ford inside the Capitol

After an hours-long recess, members of the House and the Senate who had been whisked to safety when the siege kicked off returned to the Capitol just before 8pm to resume their Joint Session to certify the Electoral College count of the presidential election.

Police spray tear gas at a protester who picked up a police barricade in an effort to get closer to the Capitol

The lawmakers were seen flanked by armed guards as they made their way back into chambers.

Culled from Dailymail

Comment here